Monday, September 26, 2011

We still...

 We came home from Mark's funeral and Dad pinned the program in his office, right next to our family photo.  I never asked why he did, because I already had the answer.  It was a reminder to him.  Kindle life because it's precious.

Cancer was like a foreign word to me.  I just thought who ever had it lost their hair.

I lost my last tooth the year Uncle Jim died.  I remember so vividly because at the viewing everyone commented on my funky smile.
 
I smiled because I was scared,  scared that it was our turn to walk him through death.

Our turn came like a thief in the night,  but we didn't change one thing.   We still went to Jackson Hole, Wyoming for the 4th. We still went for runs together, except the weeks he had kemo.  He still woke me up every morning, even if he had to call me from his doctor's appointment.  We still played catch every Sunday after church.  He still raised his voice when I came in late for curfew, and still teased me about my first boyfriend in the 7th grade, but he still made sure he was the only man in my life and told me I can't kiss a boy till I'm married. 

At the end of every hectic day, Mom made time to come in my room and let me ask questions.  She had a way to make me feel like Dad will be here in the morning. 

We walked him through death, together.

We didn't change any routines or the way we lived our life.  We just cherished him coming home with a big old smile on his face because he has us, and we have him.

*Now I have Dad's program pinned in my room.  For a reminder I suppose.  That life is precious.  

3 comments:

  1. That's very touching. Death can be a sad thing but it can also be a good thing because it gives you the experience to move on as well as release the spirit of the tortured person inside who wants to desperately escape the pain and does so through death when it is time...

    Hope you know that your father and grandfather will always care for you.
    Miro-Ender

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very moving. Very powerful.

    A teacher's note: I want to help students write stories, but I don't. I focus more on poetry and lists and other types of writing. The reason why is that it's difficult to be clear and succinct in a short story or personal essay. The tendency is to ramble and wrap it up too quickly and it's usually very boring to read. This is a FANTASTIC example of getting a reader into a story/situation and then ending with a specific message. Something the reader can walk away with. No rambling. Not boring.

    This is different than what most creative writing students have posted in the last three years. But honestly, this is one of the best. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But your background is bugging me. I shouldn't have to highlight the text to be able to see it.

    ReplyDelete