Sunday, December 4, 2011

Keep Me Where The Light Is

Reminders.  That's all they are.  Reminding me that  I keep forgetting to stop biting my lower lip.  Reminding me that my hands are stubby, but I like them because they are just like his.  Reminding me that everything I'm not, may be everything I am. 

The sticky notes on the mirrors reminding us to pay the bills, the letters that are filled with his messy penmanship reminding us that he has already built a legacy to follow, and the pictures on the walls reminding me how happy we were.

And the reminder that you are simply on vacation. 

I keep forgetting to buy my plane ticket to come see you. 

I keep forgetting that I only have enough time to ask you one question.  And that would be when will we own ourselves completely?

Then I'm reminded that I need more quarters to slide in the payphone.  Which brings me to spending all my money on shoes because I keep forgetting that they make me happy for now. I keep forgetting to put my money to use, like keeping the lights on.  Then I'm reminded that you never liked them on anyways, and I always keep forgetting to turn them off like you asked me to. 

I keep forgetting to eat our mid-night snack of celery and peanut butter, I guess I keep forgetting to look for you in the stands, and I keep forgetting to give my brothers a chance to become like you, and I keep forgetting to make you proud. 

And tonight, tonight is not the last time I'll see the light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment